Friday 31 July 2009

SIA Approved Contractor Forum!

I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the SIA forum held yesterday on Thursday 30th July 2009. At the forum the SIA presented updates on progress with enforcements, potential changes to the training remit that will be phased in for the re-licensing programme in 2011, informed us of Business licensing for the Vehicle Immobilisation industry and delivered their recent in-house security review. I met with Alan Shepherd Director of the ACS standard and Nick Smith Assistant Director Government and Legal (inset picture). To be honest, I felt quit bewildered in the presence of such elevated, revered and esteemed company!

While talking to Andrew Shephard he informed me of ongoing review of the existing Strategy and Standards Group which could be termed a consultative, steering or scrutiny group for the ACS standard. This was an addition to the existing ACS process of engagement that I often clamoured for and remember many discussions with Andrew Shepherd in my ambition to have one set up. A member of the current group has left opening the door for a new entrant and a potential reassessment of membership.

Unfortunately, when the group was formed, even though I put my name forward and was one of only 48 companies to complete the In-house review questionnaire - I was absent when the invitations were distributed. However, I have persisted to stake my claim to a position on the panel in view of the regular insight I share with the industry via my articles in Trade sector Gazettes, commitment to attending SIA led meetings and the fact that I would be the only Asian member of a panel in which the number of Asian companies is significantly increasing. I was left out of the initial scheme due to proportionate representation during its initial phase, perhaps this very requirement will see my inclusion in this potential review...?

Meeting with Nick Smith was both pleasant and revealing. We discussed the differences between the South African and UK Security legislation in which he clarified that although the South African breed of SIA undertake In-house Security licensing, it is much driven by the need for criminality checks in an industry for which the use of guns is the norm. This was a very fair point, he also advised that in my recent article on the In-house review I made a few errors which I feel obliged to amend:

Firstly, the Secretary of State for the Home Office (the Home Secretary) ratified the In-house review and not the Secretary for Work and Pensions.

Secondly, section 7.1 of the RCC sets out the responsibilities on organisations such as the SIA to undertake analysis of the benefit of data requests with explicit consideration to “other sources”. This means that the SIA is required to ensure as far as is reasonably possible that it is not requiring regulated entities to provide information to them which those entities have already provided to other such similar regulatory bodies.

Thirdly section 24(6)b of the RRA places a responsibility on a Minister of the Crown (the Authority) to consult before making an Order in relation to the RCC, or those bodies who are subject to it (the RCC) - however I would like to add, if our Secretary of State Lord Mandellson is expected to undertake such research why should such impetus be overlooked by our Regulatory body the SIA...?
We were all a little tight lipped in the first photo, however, after a few chuckles and a joke or two - all three of us made merry before parting....

No comments:

Post a Comment